Sostenuto regulation - American S&S Model "L"

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:08:15 -0500

Thomas A. Sheehan posted:
>>...I'm wondering if there is an "E-Z" method of getting it right,...<<

The first thing that crossed my mind is...are you reinstalling the key blocks
to check the position of the sostenuto rod each time?

If you are, assuming the tabs are aligned with some degree of evenness, leave
the sostenuto brackets just shy of tightened.  Then if say some tenor section
tabs are catching, pull the action, gently tap on the sostenuto rod in that
area only with a screwdriver blade towards the action, reinstall, and check.
 If the tabs no longer catch or hangup, secure the brackets, and that part is
done.

There are other checks which you should refer to in The Steinway & Sons
Technical Reference Guide, pages 53-54 .

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma