Litigation

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:27:18 -0500 (EST)

Dan,
***********

RE: What kind of caster system, if any,  would you recommend in order to
safely move that type of piano?
***********

For those European style consoles with no front legs, I install a modified GRK
Mobileer. This is a heavy tubular frame dolly that surrounds the sides and back
of the piano, and has 6 wheels. Because these wheel-less pianos sit closer to
the floor, the dolly must be modified by cutting and re-welding the piano
support plates about an inch lower, otherwise the piano will be too high off the
floor.

But, whenever I install a mobileer on any type of piano, I *always* bolt the
piano to it for stability and safety. GRK makes no provision for this,
apparently expecting the piano to just sit on the dolly. However, it would not
be hard to push the piano over backward, possibly squashing a small child. So,
you have to drill the dolly and secure it to the piano with lag bolts. Once this
is done, the unit will stand up to typical clumsy school moving, over
thresholds, carpeting, etc. Unfortunately, this is an expensive way to go, and
schools often want to go with a cheaper system. I refuse to get involved with
anything I consider unsafe, and make sure to tell them, why.

Bill Spurlock