hammer softening

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:26:03 -0600

>Doug Hershberger wrote:
>> Have any of you ever
>> heard about using a solution of Fabric Softener and isopropyl alchol for
>> mellowing hammers? If so what % of each do you use? I think I read about this
>> in the journal some time ago.
>
>I have experimented with the application of this solution by putting
>it on the shoulders, letting it soak in somewhat, but not so that it gets
>under the strike point.  Then I put a small amount on the strike
>point, trying to simulate a sugar coating.  I have liked the results,
>and it seems to last a long time (I did this 1 1/2 years ago in a
>practice room).
>
>---
>vince mrykalo  rpt
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>If you are not enjoying your work, you are not charging enough.
>-Vic Benvenuto
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vince,

Did you notice the shoulders puffing up?  When I tried it I went too far
and applied too much.   The hammers sounded like mittens.  It took years
for that set of hammers to return to a playable status.  They eventually
came back and they are OK now. If I do apply the softener, I add alittle in
each area and stop before the attack is gone.
        My experiment was also in a practice room.  Haven't used it
anywhere else.  For the long term it works and keeps the voicing mellow.
I'm still scared to use it on a regular basis anywhere else.

Joel Jones
UW-Madison