Litigation

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:36:37 -0600 (CST)

I was just involved - as an expert witness - in a lawsuit brought by a
pianist injured by a piano.  This man, an experienced pianist, went to a
hotel to play for a party.  He moved the piano a few inches, it fell and
the keyboard pinned his finger between it and the bench.  He sued the
hotel for having an unsafe piano.

The piano in question was a studio piano with no front legs, and no
casters.  The hotel had installed casters so it could be moved.  The
salesman at the store where they bought it said they should install the
casters.  It was not the most steady piano in the world.

During the course of this suit, the store and the salesman were faulted
for selling a piano that was inappropriate for the hotel's use, and for
giving poor advice about adding the casters.  Their piano technician was
faulted for not informing the hotel that the piano was dangerous.  In the
end, the hotel was sued simply because they had the deepest pockets.

If I have learned anything from this experience, it is that I am going to
warn all who have pianos that are dangerous in any way.  I'll send a
written memo to this effect, and keep a copy.  I've done it in the past.
It's now become a religious conviction!

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas