hammer softening

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 23:20:36 -0500

Doug Hershberger, RPT posted:
>>...Have any of you ever
heard about using a solution of Fabric Softener and isopropyl alchol for
mellowing hammers? If so what % of each do you use?...<<

Doug, here are two posts I saved from previous Pianotech discussions:
----------------------------
Subj:  Re: hammer voicing solutions
Date:  Thu, Oct 5, 1995 7:49 PM EDT
From:  pianotech@byu.edu

"...I have also used Fabric softener (1 part Snuggle 7 parts isopropyl alc)
right on the surface.  That works well also.  even on over doped hammers".

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas
-------------------------------
Subj:  Re: Hammer steaming
Date:  Sat, May 27, 1995 4:23 AM CST
From:  pianotech@byu.edu

"I write in support of fabric softeners.  Diluted with Isoprypol 8 parts
alcohol to one part softener, works so nice on hammers that sometimes are not
responsive to anything else..."

"I've been using diluted fab softener for about a year
now.  The results last longer than needling alone.  The solution is applied
directly on the striking surface with a hypo-bottle in a very thin line.  I
follow that with the usual needling to open up the hammer either side of the
striking surface.  This makes those "Asian" hammers sound more American, and
also keeps people from complaining that they can't get their PianoDisc unit
to play soft enough.  So far, 100% success
and satisfaction".

--- Larry Fisher RPT

And you posted:
>>...I was also wondering if someone could explain how I access the archives
of this discussion group?<<

Go to Piano Page:
http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html

Keith A. McGavern, RPT