Chickering is laughing at me

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 21:25:53 -0500

Hello all,

I'm still hacking away at this Chickering (ref. Chickering Strikes Again).  I
got the smaller bass section block fitted nicely, and I got to the point
where I had reasonable contact with the plate flange on the treble block on
all four surfaces (the flange is 'V' shaped and stepped)  Now I've gone and
screwed the thing up by not getting the screw holes lined up.  This
instrument has machine screws that go through the block into the plate.  I
tried using dowel centers in the plate screw holes to mark the block.  What I
wound up with was the block being held back from the flange a fairly uniform
distance.  (I was able to run a slip of paper all along the flange)

I figure I can plug and reuse the old block if I have to.  But I'm wondering
whether I could slightly enlarge the holes in the block, just enough to allow
the block to move up.  (1/64" would do it)  The holes in the old block were
pretty close to the size of the screws, but not threaded.  If the function of
the screws is to hold the block to the plate, but not necessarily hold it to
the flange, (the string tension will do that) wouldn't these screws still be
doing their job even if the holes were just slightly oversize?  The head of
the screw is what is holding things down.  (I REALLY don't want to fit
another block, only to have the same thing happen)

If I plug the screw holes to try again, what is a better way to locate where
to drill?

 Also, at what point is it too much to rely on glassing?

Thanks to those of you who wrote to me about the other problems I've had with
this........piano.

Gordon Large
Mt. Vernon, ME