Child hood stories

Don Rose drose@maple.net
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 13:25:06 -0800

The tuner my Mom used would as a part of the first visit to each piano remove the keys and
vacuum under them.

I was 7 years old, and facinated. I asked if I could help and he said "yes". He then excused
himself to use the washroom. Meanwhile I vacuumed up about half the balance rail felts and
punchings. He came back and was upset with me. In fact, I think he slap
ped my face. He then had me vacuum up the rest of the felts and punchings, replaced the keys,
tuned the piano and left. He never would return.

I often think that my brother might have gone farther on piano if the felts and punchings had
been replaced. It is an interesting question whether the tuner should have been
responsible--after all he said I could help, or whether my parents should have ha
d to pay. I am sorry that he chose to duck the issue by not mentioning to anyone what had
happend--Mom was not in the room at the time.

It was certainly not his "finest hour".

When I began servicing pianos I fixed the problem, and the piano although very modest (40"
Aeolian product), was improved.

Regards and Merry Christmas to you all
Don Rose (drose@maple.net) RPT