Buzzes (trouble shooting policies)

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 00:05:41 -0700

>them, and sometimes it is the dreaded call back situation where the
>client calls to inform you of the buzz that *you* caused somehow
>last time you tuned the piano. (I really hate that one).

I've lost clients over their embarassment on than one. One lady gave me an
earful for 10 minutes over the phone about how her new Steinway was "ruined"
when I'd tuned it the day before. After I pulled the child's small toy out
of a soundhole (not charging her for the service call) she was visibly
embarrassed at her tirade. That happens...

>What are your pricing policies for the following:
>
>Hired directly to fix buzzes or other unwanted sounds?

Service call plus additional time if needed...

>Client mentions buzzes or other unwanted sounds as an aside

That depends... I've fixed many buzzes in a few seconds... I don't charge
unless it takes more than five minutes or so ... I had one today that from
all appearance had been in the piano for well over 20 years and no one had
caught it. The second damper head up from the bass-tenor break was too low
on the wire and buzzed and muted the last wound string. It had been that way
a LONG time. No charge for that and now I have a client for life.

>after hiring you to do other work?

See above.

>You find/notice unwanted sounds?

That happens all the time. I identify it and inform the client and it's up
to them unless it's an easy fix and I just do it.

>You find the cause but  the repair involves more work than your client
>wants to persue?

Let them decide... I do NOT tell them exactly what it is though as I've had
clients who, once they are privy to the information, have just gone ahead
and fixed it themselves.

>You fail to find the cause of the unwanted sound?

It hasn't happened for years...   I've found picture frames, light bulbs,
heating ducts and all sorts of OTHER things rattle and buzz too so those
things should be investigated as well.

                        John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca