Buzzes (trouble shooting policies)

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 12:16:51 -0700 (MST)

Hi All,

The recent thread on buzzes reminds me of all the time I have spent
trouble shooting unwanted sounds.  Unfortunately much of that time has
been unpaid, because I have not been able to form any kind of consistent
pricing policy for trouble shooting. Most of my encounters
with buzzes are part of other work I have been hired to do such as tuning,
voicing, regulation, etc.. most clients have *not* hired me specifically to
fix the buzzing, but will mention it as an aside, sometimes I notice it before
them, and sometimes it is the dreaded call back situation where the
client calls to inform you of the buzz that *you* caused somehow
last time you tuned the piano. (I really hate that one).

I have always had a problem in the area of charging for work where I am
not sure what the actual time involved will be, and in some cases if I will
be completely successful in solving the problem, (or the only real
solution is more involved and/or expensive than your client wants to
persue.

What are your pricing policies for the following:

Hired directly to fix buzzes or other unwanted sounds?
Client mentions buzzes or other unwanted sounds as an aside
after hiring you to do other work?
You find/notice unwanted sounds?
You find the cause but  the repair involves more work than your client
wants to persue?
You fail to find the cause of the unwanted sound?

I would appreciate any thoughts or policies you have regarding these
situations,  in terms of both client communication-information and pricing.
Thanks,
Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu