Replacing agraffes

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@compuserve.com
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 08:35:32 -0500 (EST)

  I recently came across an old Fischer grand with a broken agraffe, which I
managed to extract and replace after a couple of hours of labor. When I began to
tune the piano, though, another one broke. My thinking at this point is that I
should replace all of the agraffes, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has
done this job before, and can offer any tips or methods to make this job go
easier.
  The piano was "rebuilt" 5 - 10 years ago - the board was repaired and then
painted, (along with the bridges) to hide the evidence, and it's got a cheap set
of Tuner's Supply hammers on it, along with a new poorly fitted pinblock. The
new finish is flaking off onto her living room floor. It also has some tuning
pins taped to the damper wires where they enter the underlevers (Don't ask me
why, I don't want to know!) I'm not sure what she paid for this piece of work,
but I am sure that it's pretty much useless as it sits, and she isn't interested
in spending a fortune on it now.
  One particular question - the only replacment that I was able to find was
threaded correctly, but the string holes are drilled about 1/32" higher than on
the originals, which of course raises the strike point by that amount. Is this
going to create any problems for me? Or does anyone know of any sources (other
than APSCO) for new agraffes that might be a better match?

            Thanks,

                  Mark Dierauf