Buzzing

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 15:53:45 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995 swirsky@mv.us.adobe.com wrote:

> I have a buzzing problem that's due to loose damper leads.
> In the winter months, about half the dampers below middle
> C will buzz when they combe back down on the string--assuming
> the string is still vibrating loudly.
>
> Is this problem common?
>
> How can it be fixed? Should some gap-filling glue be
> "injected" around the damper leads?
Dear "swirsky,"

      Try using your centerpin-extracting pliers. If you can raise the
underlever enough to expose the offending lead weight, and if you can
reach it with the centerpin extractor, just squeeze the pliers with the tip
of the extracting pin against the weight. This will make an impression in
the lead and cause the weight to expand slightly and become tight in the
hole. I've had good luck with this method whenever I've actually been
able to reach the lead weight with the tool.
      If you're unable to reach the leads, then I'd recommend removing
the damper action and swaging each weight at the workbench.
      Good luck!

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide