Buzzing

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 11:33:10 -0500

Randy writes;
> It appears to be coming
from the bridge, right at about the plate strut, and has that "bridge
buzz" sound, although it is close enough to the edge of the soundboard
at that point that it could be eminating from there.

       I have found several times that a  buzz like that mentioned was
originating in the bridge.
       Steinway, and many others, join bridges to soundboards with dowels. On
the treble bridge, you will see a small peg in the top of the bridge where it
passes over each rib. Drilling a small hole directly into the bridge, through
this plugged vent hole,  deep enough to contact the dowel, allows you to
inject a very thin mixture of hot hide glue, I fill a syringe and keep it in
the glue pot until ready.  Plug the hole with a round tooth-pick and finish
off with a touch of graphite.
       While this doesn't always address the problem,  it has in the past
solved several situations where nothing else worked.
       Much larger dowels  are anchored by wooden nuts under the cut-out of
the lower treble  bridge.  They are often loose, and  be glued or replaced.
good luck.