Chickering Strikes Again

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 21:55:57 -0500

I guess I should qualify the statement I made about using epoxy to fit the
flange.
 I have in the past fit the pinblock as close as my patience allows and then
used the following procedure:
Apply shipping tape to the underside of the plate (non-stick surface and
cover for tuning pin holes).
Mix epoxy with wood dough to thick consistency, spread along flange -thinly.
Fit block and clamp (I usually have drilled holes for the plate scews, so
they add quite a bit of tension)
Wipe the excess goop off and let harden for twenty-four hours.
Remove, sand and refit.
Last time I did this was on a Kimball grand (I know, I know- crazy old lady
project) with a recessed bass section.  It could have been done without
epoxy, but I optioned to use this method because it wasn't a concert
instrument.  As far as I could tell it held the pinblock in place well.  How
well it holds up over time will be the real test.

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com