more buzzing

randyr@cuix.pscu.com randyr@cuix.pscu.com
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:53:40 -0800

Greetings all:

I have found the recent postings about tracking down a buzz very
interesting.. Buzzes and other noises are at the same time some of the
most frustrating and most satisfying troubleshooting we do.

I am writing today because I would like some suggestions for tracking
down a buzz I have been seeking for months.  This is on an older grand,
original strings, and resonates at F5 - A5.  It appears to be coming
from the bridge, right at about the plate strut, and has that "bridge
buzz" sound, although it is close enough to the edge of the soundboard
at that point that it could be eminating from there.

I have tried examining the edge of the soundboard, but it is difficult
to access or view, being waaaaay up over the action cavity.  As far as I
can tell there is no separation, loose glue pieces, etc.  I have even
drilled a hole through the rear of the keybed in order to tighten an
unreachable soundboard screw, to no avail.

The thing that is curious about this buzz that may be a tipoff to
someone more knowledgeable than I is that I can get it to stop by
pressing DOWN on the bridge at the point where it crosses under the
plate strut.  In fact, my temporary solution has been to jam a wooden
wedge between the plate strut and the bridge, thereby applying pressure
down on the bridge.  Takes care of the problem, but needless to say is
not a piece of work I want to sign my name to.  (I have assures the
customer I will find a solution someday).

Anyone have any fresh ideas?  I've run into lots of bridge area buzzes,
but never one that was relieved by pushing down.  Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Randy Rush