Chickering Strikes Again

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:24:34 -0500

Gorden Large wrote:

>I'd also like to know what kinds of concoctions people use on >the plate
>flanges to mark the high spots on the block.  (I'm using an >alcohol and
>graphite mix.  It works, but sure makes a mess)

Gordon,
Almost any concoction is going to make a mess. The key is what is easier to
clean up when the fitting job is finished.
I have always used blue carpenters chalk and water or alcohol, the kind that
comes in a bottle used to re-fill a chalk line.( It also comes in white and
yellow). A damp sponge cleans it all right off.

Eric Leatha wrote:
>I've also toyed with epoxy for fitting
>the flange as tightly as possible.  It works in the short term, >but I
cannot know absolutely whether it will hold up over the >years.  Anyone else
try it?

Eric,
Years ago a great controversy raged over the merits of "glassing" a block to
maximize the fit at the flange. Fiberglass boat resin was the material of
choice. IMHO the time spent on preparing the "glass",etc. is better spent in
just doing a good job of fitting the block in the first place.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com