Chickering Strikes Again

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet1.buffnet.net
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 00:38:52 -0500 (EST)

> I'm replacing a block on a small, 1915 Chickering Grand.  (There are two
> blocks, actually.)  The flange on the plate is bi-level.  This is kind of a
> pain, but what's worse is that there are two posts cast in the plate in the
> treble web. (The blocks are bolted to the plate from underneath)  The treble
> block has to be drilled to fit over these posts, but I can't drill them to
> the exact size of the posts because that would put them out of position by
> the time I got the blasted thing fitted.  So I have to drill them oversize so
> the block doesn't touch them before it's fitted to the flange.
>
> I don't understand the reason for this design.  There are 14 other screws
> holding this block on, and the bass block doesn't have any such posts.  The
> original block was drilled out quite a bit larger then the posts.  Was
> Chickering mad at anyone in particular when this was designed?
                    <snip>

Hi, Gordon! And you thought replacing a Steinway or older Knabe pinblock
was tough! Would you believe that the two piece pinblock you're working on
is actually one of the EASIER Chickering  pinblocks to replace? The older
Chickering grands had their pinblocks in FOUR PIECES, with all sorts of
neat compound angles and curves and tapers, all designed to drive the
technician crazy! As you've discovered, those two posts serve no purpose
at all once you've drilled over-sized holes for them so that you can fit
the pinblock to the flange. They do keep things interesting, though, don't
they? When giving an estimate on rebuilding an older Chickering that in-
cludes replacing the pinblock, ALWAYS check the old one first. The two
piece pinblock is bad enough, but the four piece one is a KILLER. Charge
accordingly. Incidentally, when fitting the four piece block to the flange,
a drum sander in a drill press makes the final shaping much easier.

Les Smith