String breaking

Allen Leigh allen@pengar.com
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:34:32 -0700

John Hartman wrote:

>Tuning to A440 is likely the cause of the string breakage. This problem is
>indicated if you find the problem is mostly in the left halve of the
>keyboard. Try tuning each note to it's own appropriate frequency; only one
>note should be tuned to A440. It's true this will take longer, so charge
>accordingly.

John,  I'm not sure I understand your comment.  Most of the problems I've
had with
"brittle" strings have been in the left half of the keyboard, and I would
like to
understand your comment.  Let me give an example, and then if you will, please
explain what you meant in that context.

      Suppose the strings are 30-50 cents flat.  The tricords have the
normal elastic
      feeling, and I can raise their pitch with no problems.   Some of the
bicords and
      unicords feel hard and don't have the normal elastic feel.  These are
the ones
      I call "brittle"---they feel like I'm pulling on a rock instead of
thick taffy.

If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit on your previous comment, I would
appreciate it, John.  (comments from others who wish to speak are also
appreciated).

/Allen Leigh
allen@pengar.com

Amateur Radio Station W7RCP