take 10 (politics)

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 10:21:23 -0600 (CST)

PTG members need to sit back and take 10--count to 10 and put things
in perspective.  Some are getting "riled up" (sp?) which in itself can
be good in that it shows they care, but also raises the danger of
saying things that hinder constructive criticism and debate.  PTG has
its problems, but it's always had its problems and I'm not convinced
that we're at a crossroads or in a crisis.  It's human nature to make
a current debate into one of ontological significance.

PTG members need to get the facts.  Talk to your RVP and national
officers.  Take your concerns to chapter meetings and discuss them.
If the current debate brings members to meetings and increases
interest in the organization, that's a positive sign.

In terms of the philosophical underpinnings of our organization, the
debate seems to center on classification and education.  The first is
one with which we've struggle for as long as I've been in the Guild.
There are benefits to being more inclusive than exclusive, but
there are problems.  Having decided on an all inclusive category
called Associate, we bring in all who express interest in our
profession.  I have enjoyed welcoming these people into our chapter
meetings.  In the past we called them Students, or Apprentices, or
Allied Tradesman.  They bring vitality and growth to us.  But I think
we can do more to highlight the clear difference between those of us
who are tested and those of us who aren't.

Education is central to our organzation.  We have a series of tests
and we have some obligation to offer avenues, information, resources
that will aid members to pass those tests.  The work done in
recent years to compile materials should be lauded and encouraged.
PTG will never be a school, per se.  We are workshop oriented.  But we
can work with schools, provide materials, attempt to organize
information, and generally be a national center for all levels from
beginner to advanced.

In regard to recent leadership over the past 4 or 5 years I've
seen an attempt to get past issues that have nagged us for
years--classification, logo, testing, educational materials updating
and improving.  Change brings upheaval, but I have hopes that the
direction we're going will get us off the karma wheel we've been
spinning on for so long.  If there are problems with the present
leadership, they can be voted out in July.  Until then we should be
as supportive as possible, constructive in our criticism, and certain
of the facts.

Finally let's be ever mindful of the nature of our members.  We tend
to be overly independant to the point of cutting off our proverbial
noses to spite our collective faces.  Let's not hyperventilate over
issues that to those outside our organization are petty.

Richard (The Pious) West
University of Nebraska