Getting started...

C. Mike Swendsen swendsec@cadvision.com
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:09:08 -0700

Most Piano technicians get their training by doing an
apprenticeship(spelling doesn't count)   I personally was trained by my
father and I have trained 3 other technicians until they could pass their
PTG exams.  Schools are good for theory but the practical part of the trade
is the most important and that can only come with practice and feedback form
a qualified technician.   A lot of  learning comes from trying and failing,
asking questions and trying again.  It should take 2 to 3 years as an
apprentice to improve your skills to the point where you can go into the
home and not embarass yourself.

 I heard one technician say that it takes about 1000 tunings until you can
do it right and another 2000 t0 3000 to get good.   And that is about right

 There are people who have talents in various areas and some people learn
more quickly than others but a significant amount of hard work is required
to acheive anything of value.

Mike Swendsen RPT