Getting started...

Daryl Matthies pianotec@hcsinc.com
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:14:38 -0600

Matthew,

Nice to hear that your interested in piano service.  Books are always
helpful.  THE PIANO BOOK by Larry Fine,   PIANO SERVICE, TUNING, &
REBUILDING by Reblitz, or how about ordering a catalog from SCHAFF PIANO
SUPPLY CO in Lake Zurich, IL.
Do you know of a piano store in your area?  It may be helpful to talk to a
piano technician working near you, but I think that he would feel like you
could be a competitor some day.  I feel that working for a dealer is the
best way to get started and your hands on lots of pianos.
My brother had a music store for 28 years (YAMAHA, WEBER, WURLITZER), and
this is really a good way to know whats going on directly with the factories.
Visit a piano factory.  I've been to YAMAHA & WURL.  They are definitly
worth the trip.
When I started 12 years ago, I went along tuning a couple of days with a
tuner that was going to retire soon.  He was a PTG member and had 35 years
of tuning experience.
Working for a dealer may not be the way for the highest salary, but it's a
good start.
If you do start tuning, don't give up too soon if you feel that you can't
get the hang of it.  Because every piano is built differently and some not
very well, they don't all stay in tune as well as you would like.  Practice
Practice   Practice.

Good Luck,
Daryl Matthies
MATHIS PIANO TUNING & SERVICE