Soundboard Shims

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:38:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ed,
I would hope that you would contact Dennis Milnar of Milnar Pipe Organ
Builders in
Eagleville TN, and validate your findings.  Most old organ pipes I
have worked on have
been anything but spruce.  They used everything from sugarpine, poplar,
basswood and others to make pipes with.  Unless you are *very* familiar
with spruce and it's properties, you might be getting some other kind of
wood for shims.

Regards,
Paul Kupelian, RPT
Syracuse Pipe Organ & Piano Service