Soundboard Shims

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 22:35:38 -0500

I've always thought that the problem with using old soundboards as shim stock
was grain orientation.  If you cut a "V" shaped shim out of material the same
thickness as the board you are repairing, you'd have to be perfect, i.e. you
would be trying to install a shim that wouldn't need to be trimmed!  If you
cut a shim with the grain perpendicular to that in the sb, it will expand and
contract at a different rate than the board.

Is it "permissible" to glue two pieces of old board shim stock together with
the grain running in the same direction to make bigger blanks for shims?
 This isn't exactly like laminating (no cross banding).  I've never heard of
anyone doing this, but I would think it would work and make a more invisible
repair.

Gordon Large
Mt. Vernon, ME