we are a technical forum across the board

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 21:33:07 -0500

Hello --

A  recent posting by  a non PTG member, and the responses to it, has
highlighted what has been running through the back of my mind as I read the
political postings:  What is this like for the non-members?

I didn't join the guild when I first went into the profession, and rumors of
political complaints and discomforts was one of the main reasons.  At that
time, (between 1982 and 1987) I wanted to focus on technical things, not
figuring out how to handle the stresses and confusion of politics. ( I still
feel that way!)  At that time, I did not realize the technical resources
available to me through the guild, I was so concerned about avoiding
politics.  When I joined, it was because some people I liked were doing the
politics and it didn't look so scary, while at the same time I found out how
much I had to learn from my colleagues.

The kind of e-mail I've been reading would have validated my fears.

Since Pianotech is available to professionals, students, hobbyists, players,
related professionals, PTG members, and non PTG members, I don't think it is
the appropriate forum for disseminating warnings, alerts, rumors, and
disgruntlements for in-house PTG items.  It does nothing for the organization
or for non-members, whether they are prospective or disenchanted.  There are
plenty of old-fashioned means of communication available for politics, as
well as private e-mail to those PTG members we wish to reach.  The point of
this is not to keep secrets or censor communication, but rather to foster the
technical forum for everybody.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle