FEEDBACK REQUESTED

EBordeleau@aol.com EBordeleau@aol.com
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 00:51:45 -0500

>     It boiled down to two statements.  Me saying to the customer, "I never
>told
>you this was free." and the customer saying, "You never told me it would
cost
>me."

Larry -

I have the same policy re: estimates - we charge for them, but credit the fee
back toward the work if the customer decides to go ahead with it.  In our
case we ALWAYS tell the customer about the policy before we book the
appointment.   Most understand, some back out, and a few have been indignant
that we charge for making estimates when siding salesmen and water softening
folks gladly come out for free!

When I first started out, I gave free estimates.  It didn't bring in any
work, though, because most of the customers also called someone else (who
charges) and gave the job to them to get their estimate fee back.  After I
started charging for estimates,  I began getting my share of the work.

Some folks will never pay for an estimate - let them shop elsewhere.  A few
years ago a man called me and wanted an estimate on fixing a dead player.  He
balked at the $30.00 fee, because he had already booked 3 other techs to look
at the piano (for free).  He said he'd give the job to the lowest bidder and
I was welcome to look at it and give him a quote.  I told him not to waste
his money hiring me.

Ed Bordeleau
Pianoarts, Inc.