FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 17:25:19 -0500 (EST)

     Larry,

     In a nutshell, you blew it.

     Granted, your clientele knows you don't work for free. However, this
     episode reads more like a cold caller than an existing client.
     Sometimes it's hard to remember, but any estimate charges must be
     explained in front, not after you're on site.

     You didn't mention whether you actually provided a line item, written
     estimate. If not, withholding same may be an option you can exercise.

     Otherwise, don't lose sleep over it, consider it a lesson learned,
     post a stimulating reminder near your phone, and adjust your estimate
     charges to be commensurate with your tuning charges.

     I would also recommend *not* sending responses to this customer,
     anonymous or otherwise. Since there is only one of you versus many
     (potential) customers, the additional ill will created is just not
     worth it -- and bad news really does travel fast.

     Note: There are reasons why others do free estimates, why consumers
     have come to expect this, and why we cannot -- but that subject is
     best reserved for another time.

     Regards/Jim Harvey
     I'm open for comments here.  I'm toying with the idea of mailing the
annonymous.

     It's only $35, but I'm at odds with the reasoning.  Usually I don't have
to deal with this sort of thing, my clientelle knows I don't work for free.
The customer knew the estimate ball park previous to the call, and had no
intention of spending that much for the job, but still had me come out anyway.