FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 14:00:16 -0700

Hi Larry,

  It appears to that by ballparking the cost over the phone that you
felt the client was worth the effort to pursue.  One can  assume
if they agreed to having you out and knew what the restoration
cost might be, that $35.00 for the appraisal would be reasonable.
 I got stuck once or twice thinking the good telephone rapport
established was as good as a check in hand.  I always let them know the
$90.00 charge for an evaluation is to be paid upon completion of
the visit. Most people are decent enough to pay you for your time. Your
small mistake of not mentioning the cost was invitation for them to
take advantage.  These folks are probably always looking for the
cheap way out and I have no use for that mentality.
  Steve Brady is right about waking up and smelling the coffee.
Qualified technicians need to charge for a professional opinion, giving
free estimates is archaic thinking, even the use of the word "bid" is
no longer a term I use.  When a customer decides to spend many thousands
for me to restore their Steinway then I have been "commissioned" or
entrusted to do the finest work available and return to them an instrument
that inspires and is a joy to play. Larry, it has taken me years to work
up to high skill levels and reputation status but it sure is nice not
dealing with customers looking for free professional advice, cheap tunings,
or a rebuilding bargain.

Brent Fischer
Arizona State University

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU