Soundboard Shims

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 11:51:56 -0500

Hi all,
This is a question for all the rebuilders out there but isn't an attempt to
open a dialog on soundboard replacement.
Not all soundboards need or should be replaced, IMHO.

Let's assume that a grand is being rebuilt using the original soundboard.
Also, assume that the board had several cracks that required shimming, NOT
putty or filler or other gunk, but real quartersawn spruce shims that go all
the way thru the board in a properly cut groove. O.K.?

That work completed, the board is all sanded,etc., ready for finishing.
EXCEPT... the beautifully installed shims stand out like a sore thumb, visual
evidence of the necessary surgury.

I've wrestled with this enigma for years. What is the easiest,simplest,way of
camoflageing these white(new wood) stripes. I have tried lots of things
(stains, strong coffee;),etc.) many of which I can live with but few that I
have been truly happy with.
Now, I know that it is impossible to make the new shims invisible, but, do
any of you have any special secrets you'd like to share? Or, do you not worry
about it and just leave them alone?

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com