Help on a buzzing sound

Andrew M. Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 07:47:40 -0700

Hello,

I'm an associate working towards my RPT status.  An RPT in the local
chapter asked me to post this as he does not yet have Internet access.  I
will pass back any responses to him.  Thanks for any advice you can provide!

-andy

Here is his letter:

I am trying to locate the source of a buzzing sound in a 30 year old
Wurlitzer console.  It is prominent on B27, a wound string, but it also
occurs when other bass strings are played -- notably other B's or F#'s.
The piano has been in Colorado since it was new, so major climate variation
is not a factor.

I can tell you what it is not: not the picture on the wall or other
sympathetic room vibrations; no foreign objects touching soundboard;
not loose soundboard buttons; not a pedal rod rattling in the lifter
rod hole.  Not a loose string winding -- a loose winding would not
produce a buzz when other notes are played.

My best guess is bridge notching.  The bridge notching is not exact, but
it is not off very badly.  How much does the notching have to be off to
produce a buzz?  Is there some other source that I have overlooked?

Sincerely,

Richard Capp, RPT