Damper racks, was Samick Underlevers

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 01:41:42 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-11 20:32:23 EST, Larry wrote:

>This after removing all the dampers from the top flanges and laying them in
>order on top of the tuning pins.

One year long ago when I had free time I made myself a grand damper rack and
it is the kind of thing that can come in handy here, the point being to keep
them in order and keep the wires out of harm's (rebending) way.  A rebuilder
in Chicago, Paul Revenko-Jones had a couple of racks that used a pair of 1x
2's mounted on 4 legs, the rails could part to allow for loading, then were
locked in place next to eachother grabbing the wires between them.  If I
sound vague on the details its because I am.  I made mine differently, the
legs were 2 large X's, one rail with holes in it for the wires sitting atop
the 2 X's, and a "lid" rail that eases in over metal pins on one long side
then drops down in on the other long side and is held in with 2 hinge pins in
snug holes.  I wanted the lid for 2 reasons:  travelling security, and the
ability to turn the whole thing upside down and soak the old felts off in the
rack.  Before I made this thing, I used the old "tennis ball" type I saw in
Ken Sweet's shop in Evanston.  He used 2 tennis ball cans with a deserted
something-or-other stop rail secured with duct tape with a bunch of holes
drilled in it.  Quick and cheap but not good for travelling.  As Jack Lofton
would say, "ask me how I know."  Actually you don't even have to go for a car
ride to dump that type in a heap.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle