Tacky Response

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 17:54:14 -0500

> need responses from you pertaining to tacks in piano hammers not for the
>supervisor of the theater but for the underwriters of the concert, who have
>agreed to compensate the theater for any damage caused by this preparation.
>My feeling is they will continue to say that tacks in hammers do not hurt
>anything and I need reinforcement to the contrary.
>
>I have managed to bring uniformity back to the piano but it stole a day of
>my time and we intend to charge the underwriters for this time.

Bill,

In the Music Department at Berry College we have not yet had a problem with
damage from "preparing" pianos.  However, I am working with the Department
Head and the Piano Professor to develop guidelines to prevent such damage
from occuring.  We hope to establish exactly what is safe and acceptable
while prohibiting all other "modifications" to the Steinway D and the Baldwin
SF-10 in the Auditorium.  Much of the knowledge is based on my personal
experience as a technician and discussions held during the CAUT (College and
University Technician's for the uninitiated) Forum at National.  Our goal is
to allow maxium expression for the musician while avoiding ruining fine
pianos.

Several years ago, when I was tuning for a series of country music concerts,
Jerry Lee Lewis was scheduled to perform.  Having heard of such antics as
playing the piano with a cowboy boot (while beaing worn) and igniting
instruments, I recommended to the management that they include a clause in
his contract that the performer would be responsible for any and all damage
to the hall's instrument.  This was agreed to and the show came and went
without a hint of abuse other than very hard playing.  If people are held
fiscally responsible for their actions they seem to usually comply with the
"house rules."

Further, even if the hammers sound okay now, I wouldn't count on it in the
future.  Having thumbtacks driven into the crown is pretty serious business.
 IMHO, I personally wouldn't gaurantee or settle for anything less than a new
set of hammers.

Hope this helps,

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.