Inner/Outer Rim Separation

PaulStep@aol.com PaulStep@aol.com
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 21:22:12 -0500

Thanks for all the suggestions for fixing this problem.  Also the discussion
about the significance of the outer rim in the structural integrity of the
piano has been interesting.  Just for the record, I spoke with Richard Elrod
at Samick today and asked him how they were built.  He has been to the Samick
factory and reported that the inner rim/belly assembly was assembled, strung,
and chipped before the outer rim was glued on.  He also mentioned that he had
worked at a grand factory years ago and that was the way all the grands were
assembled.  Regardless of how a factory assembled the rim structuree, one
would expect the outer rim to add some support.

Don Mannino mentioned that perhaps the inner and outer rims could be screwed
as well as glued together.  In a luan structure, I don't believe that screws
would be of any value.  The outer rim is too thin for screws of any diameter
to have much holding power.  The only way I can see a mechanical fastener
being effective would be to bolt through both rims.  In the right setting
this might even be attractive.  Can't you just picture a pretty, little black
grand with chrome plated studs around the rim?  Of course, the lady wears
leathers and rides a Harley.

Thanks again for all the advice and help solving this problem.

Paul Stephens