Lettering on Piano Plate

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 12:04:27 -0600

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 VandrPiano@aol.com wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> After refinishing a piano plate with bronzing powder, I am faced with the
> dilemma of how to affix the serial number and other assorted numbers to the
> plate.  My first thought was to transfer the numbers to the plate using
> rub-on transfer characters, then to put a final clear coat of lacquer over
> the top of the numbers.  Unfortunately, the rub-on numbers will not adhere to
> the plate.  The thought of hand-lettering strikes fear into my heart!

      I would try very light sanding with 320 or 400 grit wet or dry
sandpaper just in the area where you intend to rub the transfer letters.
Also, you should have a coat of clear on before attempting this.

      Television: Chewing gum for the eyes.--Frank Lloyd Wright
            jminor@uiuc.edu//John Minor//University of Illinois