grey market

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 10:53:19 -0700

>>It seems lately that we've been inundated with these used pianos from
>>the orient.  What is anybody's experience with these?  All opinions
>>sought.  TYhanks!

>I am also curious just how far across the country these things travel?

They come to Canada as I've seen more than a few here. They're almost
invariably Yamahas with two pedals (discoloured) and rusty strings. That's a
dead giveaway in this climate (dry and cold).

Once they have a new sb, bridges, pinblock, strings and new action parts
they aren't too awful... that is, once you get the rim separations
stabilized.  B-})

While some dealers have made fast money on them, warranty problems and the
associated customer dissastisfaction have ended up lowering their profit
margins by enough that they wouldn't bring them in again. Unfortunately,
dealers looking for a fast buck will always try to pick them up if they
aren't aware of what they're getting themselves into.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca