Was grey market, now ??

Don Mannino 74473.624@compuserve.com
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 12:10:39 -0500 (EST)

Eric Leatha wrote:

>>Well.....
I am not impressed. . . .IMHO, the wood is not yet seasoned to our climate (dry,
dry, wet for
10 mins., dry).   . . .<<

Some questions:
1. Why did a discussion of grey market pianos spawn a gripe message about Korean
pianos?
2. What evidence is there of improper wood seasoning? Sticking keys?? Come on -
if you were experiencing flat soundboards, warped case parts, failing glue
joints, and things like that you might have a point.

Even though I no longer work for a Korean piano manufacturer, these kinds of
off-the-cuff comments still seem unnecessary to me.  They are just the sorts of
things that hurt the piano business.  Not being based on facts, they only serve
to spawn rumors and false assumptions ("well, the piano technician said that XXX
brand pianos don't have properly seasoned woods, and he should know!!").

Many of these pianos _do_ need to be finished off - just as you described.
That's funny - another (non-Korean) brand of pianos you mentioned is also
generally thought to need finishing off by the dealer.  In reality, ALL pianos
need _some_ finishing off, but obviously some more than others. It would be nice
if the manufacturers could do it in the factories, but why complain? That's how
technician's make a living, and finishing off a piano for the customer or dealer
can be the most satisfying kind of work - it makes you look like a
wonder-worker!

Don Mannino RPT
74473.624@compuserve.com