Tacky

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 10:20:35 -0600

I echo Steve Brady's post about the treatment of pianos for non-traditional
use.  At Univ. Wisc. - Madison we also have 2 pianos set aside for interior
manipulation.  A 6' and a 9' which can be prepared to otherwise used for
interior piano performance.  Any set-up on these pianos must be approved by
myself and a piano faculty member.  Our faculty member does perpared piano
and has a contemporary ensemble that does this style of performance.  He is
knowledgable about the piano insides and usually send me a note about what
they're doing.
        Guests are not free to do whatever they want to the pianos.  No
concert is given in our halls without the sponsorship of a  faculty member.
So if in the afatermath we are left with damaged equipment ( including
pianos ) the faculty member is held responsible.  There are forms that give
this information to me and they are on our LAN so I see what's happening.
I take a very dim view of this 'tacky' messing and our faculty are very
cooperative. Rationale: if the pianos get messed up they may still be
messed up when it comes their turn for concert use.
        My best helper in this concert process is the facilities
coordinator, who asks all the right  questions and listens for the right
answers.  We have had problems with interior performance by our
students/facilty in the past -  the word 'shunning' comes to mind.
        I had a similar experience at a church I tune.  A sense of humor is
a helpful tool, but the message has to be  loud and clear.  $$$ usually
gets someone's attention.  In my case, many ivory keytops were chiped and
cracked on a very expensive piano.  They are now very careful who plays the
piano, and who rents out the facility for an event.
        In all cases and above all else, the pianos are LOCKED when not in
use.
        Hope this gives you something to take to the bank.