grey market

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 01:16:49 -0500

>It seems lately that we've been inundated with these used pianos from
>the orient.  What is anybody's experience with these?  All opinions
>sought.  TYhanks!
>
>---
>vince mrykalo  rpt

Gray (sp) Market pianos are generally defined as those originally sold in
Japan, used there, and then sold to someone who brings them to the US.
Apparently no one is Japan would buy a used instrument, and the Japanese
companies would burn them before rebuilding them. The combination of
sub-tropical weather and VERY intense playing wear these poor things out.
Here in Washington state we see a lot of these. First clue: grands with 2
pedals. Second clue: prices too good to be true, i.e., Yamaha C3 grand for
less than $8k.

I have seen many of these pianos that are useless, some not even rebuildable.
I have seen a few that were not in bad shape, other than compression cracks
in the soundboard. Some in between. Some Yamahas with new Yamaha hammers on
them.

Technically, a new piano sold in Japan or Korea to an american for direct
import is 'gray market.' They are, at least according to Yamaha, not prepared
for the american continent. I have had US military customers who bring them
over, and the manufacturers request all correspondence be with the country of
origin.

I am also curious just how far across the country these things travel?

Dave Stocker
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA