Inner/Outer Rim Separation

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Thu, 09 Nov 1995 01:16:43 -0500

Several years ago I ran into a Young Chang bought by a church from a less
than reputable dealership (Recently closed!). The store claimed it was a new
piano. I noticed the inner and outer rims were separating 3" to 4" in two
places. Didn't look too serious, so I mentioned it to the folks at the church
and said we should keep an eye on it. I called Young Chang, who informed me
the piano had been returned to the warehouse with 'bridge problems' and was
sold at a discount to the dealer on the condition they repair it before
selling it. (FAT CHANCE.)

On my next visit, I walked around the piano for a quick look see before
tuning, running my hand along the top of the outer rim. I felt wrinkles in
the finish, looked underneath and saw the rims had almost entirely separated.
On closer inspection, the downbearing was upbearing, pulling up on the bridge
pins. I don't remember everything, but a bunch of things were going very bad.
It was so strange I didn't want to stand too close.

In the end, Young Chang did provide a new, direct from the warehouse piano.
Good for them.

My lesson from the experience would be to check a lot of things besides an
obvious gap in the glue joint. Whether the piano is strung with or without
the outer rim on may be irrelevant. It's present condition is the most
important thing, and _why_is_it_moving_?
Filling the hole with epoxy won't cure a lack of downbearing or a host of
other possible problems. Be careful, and garantee nothing. I think you may
have to tell her the piano is dead, and any hopes for a resurrection are
slight.

Dave Stocker
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater,  WA