'Rewooding' keys- was re

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Tue, 07 Nov 1995 15:59:22 -0400

        Reply to:   RE>'Rewooding' keys: was rebuilding Steinways

------------------ORIGINAL POSTS-----------------
--------------------------------------
Date: 11/7/95 1:34 PM
To: Kenneth Sloane
From: pianotech@byu.edu
     Ken, I agree with your answer here. Is this particular repair a
     subject suitable (short enough) for this forum, or more appropriate
     for a PTJ article? I've often wanted to try something in this area,
     but have never tooled for it.

        -jh-
_________________________________
[edited]

P.S. I'm not sure what he means by "rewood the keys". I've never heard that
     term before. Anyway, I'm sure he would appreciate any responses. I told
     him I was forwarding this message because I couldn't answer his
questions.

--------------------MY REPLY------------------
[edited]

In regard to "rewooding keys". The phrase probably refers to reconstituting
the sides of the keys that get worn away during playing. This is very common
in high use pianos, a phenomenon that most College and University Techs see
all the time.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory
JIM- My shop has remanufactured keyboards and installed new keyboards in
pianos with keys that needed to be "rewooded". With these pianos, other
keyboard ailments usually exist; i.e., frequently the sharps are worn , they
have been rebushed a couple times and have worn bushing mortises, key tops are
shot, etc., etc., etc. I think replacing the keyboard is usually the best way
to go unless it presents some sort of authenticity problem. I do think it
would be a good PTG Journal article, Why don't you go for it.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory