Re Inner/outer rim separati

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Tue, 07 Nov 1995 11:48:40 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:12 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Inner/outer rim separation         Date:  11/7/95

I unintentionally deleted the original post about the Samick-made piano whose
inner/outer rim sepearted in several areas. I will give my response without
any parts of the original included:

Though cause for concern, the separation of the inner/outer rim probably does
not have an adverse affect on the structural integrity of the rim. Unlike
Steinway, who molds the inner rim with the outer at the same time in one huge
press, most manufacturers (and probably Samick) construct an   inner rim
separate from the outer rim. In the production process, the inner is fit with
the belly of the piano -- board and bridges, pin block, and plate --  bearing
is set, and then the piano is strung and brought up to pitch. The outer rim is
attached later to provide a base for the lid, music desk, stretcher, etc. The
advantage to using this construction procedure is that it is easier to get at
the various parts of the belly withou having to work around an outer rim, and
the risk of marring the outside veneer of the case during the belly operation
is avoided. Obviously the manufacturers who use this technique feel that the
inner rim is strong in and of itself to support the tension of a fully strung
piano. The outer rim, as I said before, is not considered essential to the
structural integrity of the piano.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory