'Rewooding' keys: was rebuilding Steinways

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Tue, 07 Nov 1995 13:23:34 -0500 (EST)

     Ken, I agree with your answer here. Is this particular repair a
     subject suitable (short enough) for this forum, or more appropriate
     for a PTJ article? I've often wanted to try something in this area,
     but have never tooled for it.

        -jh-
[edited]

P.S. I'm not sure what he means by "rewood the keys". I've never heard that
     term before. Anyway, I'm sure he would appreciate any responses. I told
     him I was forwarding this message because I couldn't answer his
questions.

[edited]

In regard to "rewooding keys". The phrase probably refers to reconstituting
the sides of the keys that get worn away during playing. This is very common
in high use pianos, a phenomenon that most College and University Techs see
all the time.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory