Security-was Dead Bass Strings

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 23:10:59 -0500

Paul,

Here at Boise State we had a change of dept. head two years ago.  It was his
decree that all pianos be free to all students.  Thus, the recital hall
pianos ( a B 1975? and D 1990) were unlocked and allowed perusal by all.  The
result?  Those pianos now have locks on them again.  After I restrung the
treble, rehammered the D and massive voicing and regulating of the B, it was
deigned that such a large appropriation of money for repair deserves the
respect of everyone and the performing of a select few.  In addition, we now
lock five practice rooms which have new pianos in them.  Piano performance
majors are issued a key to whichever room they choose and are responsible
(hmmm) for said instruments.  All classrooms and instructors' studios are
locked.  I heard much dissaproval about this from non-piano majors, however I
believe the benefits far outweigh the whining, and I don't shrink from
telling them such.  One day, as I was laboring with bass string replacements
on a wurlitzer studio, I glanced to the neighboring practice room to see, ala
Tom Waits, a pianist (?) smoking a cigarette down to a hanging ash.  This is
why I favor a lockdown.  There is at least an illusion of security.  Our
music dept. is small, only about 55 pianos, of which ten are of the caliber
you have described at your facility.  It may just take issuing keys for rooms
rather than hi tech solutions.  Perhaps a "hall monitor", some Kappa Kappa
Psi pledge who sits for hours on end signing rooms in and out, is a more
economical solution.

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com