blocked action

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 12:03:25 -0600

>Okay, now I know the topic is probably cold, but I had a similar problem as
>our colleague tuesday night wrote about.  I came to a DH Baldwin grand today
>and found the una corda not functioning.  Rather than stomping on it, I
>pulled the cheek blocks and tried to pull the action.  Wouldn't budge.  I
>pulled the shifter out, still wouldn't budge.  I tried lifting the action, no
>chance.  Then I spied a bit of gunk that looked like wood glue on the front
>rail, keyframe and keybed.  I thought, "sap?"   I called the customer in as I
>pried the action free.
>Evidently she had had a student vomit on the piano two weeks ago.  What was
>left after mop-up dried *hard* to the action.  I'd like to get a patent on
>that kid's stomach contents, one helluva glue that was!
>
>Eric Leatha
>tunrboy@aol.com

Eric,

I had a piano student vomit situation several years ago, which was
interesting in that the  parents' homeowners insurance paid for the
'clean-up' and replacement of punchings etc. Unlike your situation, mine
was still warm.  A call I hope I never have again.
        I replaced punchings, sealed the sides of the keys, the bed and
rails, after disinfecting everything.  This added up and the teacher wasn't
wanting to stand the expense - thus the insurance claim.
        It may be too late for you, but good luck.