Dead Bass Strings-a new twist

GABRIEL ZWIERSKI 75120.1363@compuserve.com
Mon, 06 Nov 1995 08:43:05 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,
      Fantastik, 409 and citric acid based cleaners (as well as any other
number of substences) can do a number on piano bass strings (I know all too
well!).
      Accustic bass players (particularly jazz backround) will often boil (in
water) a set of "dead" steel strings to ressurect them temporarily (it removes
the finger grease).  Recently, I've heard some bass players say that the
afforementioned cleaners work just as well, without boiling.  The advantage
being that you don't have to take the strings off the instrument.

Let me offer a Hypothesis:
       Well-meaning, but basicly instrument-stupid,jazz or
accompianist-oriented piano student tries to 'liven' up the piano bass string
section, using the aforementioned techniques learned from an accoustic bass
player met on a gig (or school, or hearsay, or whatever).  The person feels it
works (placebo effect, tin ear or whatever) and procedes to screw up every
school piano they use that they feel needs 'livening'.

      Again, just a hypothesis.

            Gabriel Zwierski
            75120.1363@Compuserve.com