Broadwood Grand - A435?

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Sun, 05 Nov 1995 18:42:34 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995 AKarab@aol.com wrote:

> John, by coincidence I recently saw a very similar instrument at a local
> dealer that was
> being resurrected.  Unfortunately, the tuning pins were extremely loose and
> the person
> working on the restoration was not sure how to proceed.

These pins are almost always too loose, the only solution is to consolidate
the wrestplank with epoxy or plug the holes and redrill. Remember since
the pins are threaded thruogh the plate you must enlarge the plate hole
as well.

We have very good luck restringing these but I would recommend replacing
bridge pins as well as the originals sometimes fail under new stress.

My feeling, from Helmholtz, is that these instruments were tuned quite
sharp of 440, and in fact at or below this pitch the treble string tension
is low and has not much "sing".

For what it's worth, we restring and sell a number of these a year at
prices ranging from 6 to 9,000, depending on how much case and action
work is needed as well as the overall appereance of the instrument.
Of course we are in a very low cost area compared to the rest of the
country, and people here are very tight when it comes to piano
expenditures. I'd like to think they would be worth more in a more
prosperous region, because they are really very lovely and carefully
made (not well designed in modern terms) instruments.

Dave Doremus
dbd01@www.gnofn.org
New Orleans