Dead Bass Strings-Update

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Sat, 04 Nov 1995 12:56:34 -0800 (PST)

Paul Dempsey wrote:
>There are a zillion things I think  its NOT. It's not spray polish,or any
>kind of spray lube(like WD-40). It's not particularly sticky,oily, and there
>is little residue of the substance itself. I'm leaning toward somthing like
>spray-on oven cleaner(caustic lye ?) .

I would think that caustic lye would rapidly corrode the copper on the
strings and other metalic parts.  A clear varnish maybe?  Also, lye
should crystallise into a white powder as the solvent evaporates.  Of
course, you've seen the residue yourself and know exactly what it looks
like.  I'm just trying to speculate without actually seeing it.  Good
luck anyway.

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC
Canada