bass bridge replace: glues? makers?

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Fri, 03 Nov 1995 09:25 -0600 (CST)

>2.  Last time I did this I used a carpenter's glue, screwed it in, then let
>it sit overnight

Its best not to use regular carpenters glue. It remains relatively soft
after it sets, thus creating a barrier to good transmission of the string
energy to the soundboard.

>before loading the strings back on the next day.  But hey, is there a quicker
>way?  Does anyone mount bridges with CA glue, then load a few minutes later?
> Or am I dreaming?  Quick set epoxee then load an hour later?  (I see two
>screws mounting this bridge to the apron from the underside of the apron's
>lip, I hope to be employing them in the remounting if the removal process is
>kind to me)
>
>Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle

Hide glue is the traditional favorite for this application, and you can
expect good solid result, plus easy clean-up and a very forgiving set time.
However, you still must wait overnight before putting any load on the
repair.  Quick set epoxy works great, and can be loaded quite soon after it
sets. (an hour is not unreasonable for the five minute stuff)  On the
downside, you have to deal with the mess, toxic fumes, and mixing.  I have
no experience with CA glues in this situation, but imagine that a good gap
filling version with an accelerator applied might work (but be DANG sure the
bridge is in the right place the first time)

As with any glue, you must have a good understanding of the properties,
prep, mixing, etc of these products to get good consistent results.

John W. McKone, RPT
Operations Manager
Haugen's Pianos
Twin Cities