Hammer Steaming

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 21:54:54 -0500

I've been using alcohol (isopropyl) on NEW piano hammers for a couple years.
 It seems a little shady, especially when I tell the new piano owner not to
play the piano until the next morning.  I've found that it only really works
on new piano hammers.  Older than five years and I don't get the dazzling
results.  Kawai and Samick respond especially well to this method.  Ray
Cahndler told me once that the kawai hammers are subjected to deep needling
at the factory and it takes quite a bit of stabbing to make a change.  Hence
the alcohol.  Baldwins take even more soaking.  It seems to work alright if
you soak them generously, but as you say, you have to wait to hear the
results.  That's why I'm so interested in trying the steaming technique
brought up here.  My biggest concern is with accidental oversteaming.  I can
just see the felt break free of its moulding.  Someone please reassure me
this won't happen!

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com