Hammer Steaming

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 21:48:05 -0500

"Arnold" wrote:
>> Finally, I'll bet this method would work to swell key bushings
>>where the bushing is still in tact, but the piano has either been played
>>roughly, or, "woops" I got a bit too generous with the key easing pliers.
 Does
>>this work, too?

While I would not want to fit the bushing cloth itself by swelling _it_,
(stability?)  (moisture transferring to bond to pin in ugly colors?)  I was
once treated to the rejuvinating of the wood shape under the felt where not
just overeasing but easing with needle nose pliers had been done in a pinch
(no pun intended).  Laura Kunsky did the work, apparently it didn't take long
and the previous mishaping of the wood was almost imperceptable.  So I think
the steam is useful to restore wood shape that would then support _new_
bushings.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle