Jobs at Universities

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 17:09:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Arnold,

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Arnold wrote:

> at business and selling, etc. It seems that a signifigant number of people
> don't stay with these jobs very long and end up going back into business
> for themselves.  What do those of you who work for universities really
> think of it.  If you had known then what you know now, would you make the

University positions vary greatly in working conditions.  If a job looks
like a revolving door, that's a pretty good indication that the working
conditions are not too good.  These things depend on a lot of factors:
the administration, faculty, physical facilities, coworkers (if any) and
how your predecessor was perceived (mine was an arrogant primadonna, so
was an easy act to follow, but this can work both ways).  BTW, being a
relatively good position, I've been here almost seventeen years.

> same decision?  If the answer, for you, is yes, what extra preparation

Yes, I've never regretted my decision.

> would you advise me to get before applying for one of these jobs; I'm sure
> that being an rpt is wonderful, but that alone wouldn't be nearly enough
> of a qualification to be considered.  I'm sure the answers to this

I think RPT is essential (was a near requirement in my job), but it seems
that most positions these days also require or prefer a degree.  Make
sure you have a thorough command of grand regulation and voicing.  Some
electronics and MIDI knowledge would be a plus too.