Hammer Steaming

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 18:01:09 -0600 (CST)

I have done some steaming on hard hammers that wouldn't respond to
needles and it works fine.  It's quick (by the time you can get the
action back in the piano) and lasts a while.  For truly long term
softening of very hard hammers, I still like the fabric softener (1 part
Snuggle 7 parts isopropyl alchohol.)  It seems to last until you file
that felt off.  Just put a little on the striking surface, and dry with a
hair dryer.  Works best on hammers so hard that needles won't penetrate.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas